How to find and/or contact me:

How To Find and/or Contact Me:

Facebook: Brenda Crofts Reep

email: sheetmusictranscriptions@gmail.com




Monday, April 18, 2011

The Garden

My performance project for the month has been "The Garden," by Michael McLean and Bryce Neubert.  I saw it the first time when Ryan Norton did such a wonderful job putting it together a few years ago at the Dixie High School auditorium.

Staci Langston organized a tri-ward choir and chose soloists, and I agreed to play the piano for it.  Deciding whether to use the professional performance track or to play the piano live for something as big as this is a very tough decision.  There are benefits and downfalls with either choice.  We chose to perform it with a live piano accompaniment.

However, she really liked the Overture and wanted it to be prelude.  We could do that and it would be nice.  But I was concerned that switching from a fully orchestrated CD of the "Overture" then to just piano would be too much contrast.  I know that I can make the piano sound great.  However, the contrast would be too drastic, and then the piano would not seem as beautiful.

I am always one who prefers to perform with live musicians.  It doesn't seem so "karaoke bar" that way.  And it emphasizes the full musical potential of the performance.

I told Staci that I would look for the sheet music for the "Overture" and "Three Days Passing."  Upon looking for it I was told that there was not a reduction score for those two instrumental numbers.  So, I got Michael McLean's permission to write it into sheet music so that I could play it live.  I am going to send him the sheet music, and if he likes it, hopefully he will make it available to others who might want to do the same as we are doing.

The rehearsals are coming along nicely.  We will be performing this on Saturday and Sunday, April 23 & 24, 2011 in Santa Clara, Utah.  If you are in the area during Easter break, please join us for this special evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment